Mahale Mountains National Park lies on the shores of Lake Tanganyika in western Tanzania. Named after the Mahale Mountains range that is within its borders, the park has several unusual characteristics. First, it is one of only two protected areas for chimpanzees in the country. Another unusual feature of the park is that, it is one of the very few parks in Africa that must be experienced by foot.
The dry season (May -October) is the best period. During this period, chimpanzees are likely to be seen in big groups, the sunshine illuminates the fish in the Lake and the beach is an inviting place to relax. However, Mahale Mountains National Park is accessible all year round. A visit in the rainy season can also be a memorable experience.
Day 1: Flight either from Mwanza/ Arusha/ Dar es Salaam to Kigoma town.
At 06h30 pick up from a hotel in Mwanza or Arusha, transfer to the Airport for departure by shared charter to Mahale Mountains National Park departing at 0800h arriving at 1210h in Kigoma town. Pick up with our Safari vehicle on arrival. Transfer to the camp for lunch. Afterwards proceed for Chimpanzee tracking in the forest (should time allow).
Day 2: Mahale Mountains.
Breakfast at 07h00 then at 08h00 go for chimpanzee tracking in the forest. The hikes takes you to the chimp’s habitation areas are accessible and not strenuous, although being in good physical condition will ease the strain of walking through the jungle. Observing the endangered primates is an once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Day 3: Mahale Mountains.
After breakfast, go for another chimpanzee tracking in the forest. Other activities that you can do are forest walks, birding, boat trips, snorkeling, fishing and kayaks –all included in the package.
Day 4: Departure to Arusha/ Dar es Salaam/ Mwanza.
Morning breakfast at the lodge then around 1100h you will be transferred to Kigoma AIrport for your scheduled flight to Arusha or Mwanza departing at 1225h arriving at 1700h. Meet our vehicle on arrival and transfer to your hotel, drop off for onward or transfer to Kilimanjaro airport for your International flight.
- Wildlife safari to northern circuit game parks, after chimps trekking or before.
• 4 days Chimpanzee tracking in Mahale Mountain
• 3 nights’ accommodations in mid range tented camp/lodge
• Full board meals
• Airport transfers to and from Mahale Mountains
• Tour guide-driver English speaking
• All parks entrance fees and Chimpanzee permit
• 1 x Chimpanzee trek per day
• 1 x boat safari (2 hours)
• Snorkeling and Kayaking.
• Mineral water and soft drinks
• Other dietary requirements on request
• Free pickup in residential house and hotel
• Guide gratitude / tips
• Flight to and from Dar es Salaam or Arusha
• Items of a personal nature
• Optional activities
• Alcohol drinks
• Domestic and international flights apart from Itinerary
• Travel insurance and visas
• Accommodation /meals one night before the safaris and last day after the safari in case clients will prefer to overnight with an extra charges we can arrange it.