Mount Meru is the second highest mountain in Tanzania standing 4566 meters (14,979 feet) high. It is overshadowed by Mount Kilimanjaro, its famous neighbor, and frequently overlooked by visitors. This is a low budget hiking adventure taking 4 days suitable for people who want to hike short distance in a day; it is a great alternative to the Kilimanjaro climb which is 70 kilometers west and the highest Mountain in Africa. This tour is easier and takes a shorter time, also taking you through the Arusha National Park so you can see wild animals on the way during your hike.
Day 1: Transfer to Arusha National Park/ Ngongongare gate.
After breakfast in your hotel in Arusha /Moshi transfer to Arusha National Park via Ngongongare gate , then drive to the starting point of climb Mommella headquarters (1514m/4967 ft) and park formalities – Armed Ranger Guide, sorting of your luggage with the porters.
Start trekking through fig tree to Miriakamba for about 5 hours including picnic lunch break at Moiyo waterfall, dinner and overnight Miriakamba Hut (2514m/8,248ft), 14km (8.6mi).
Day 2: 4 hours to saddle point.
After breakfast trek for 4 hours to saddle point, lunch on arrival, rest for 2 hours, side trek for acclimatization to little Meru (3820m/12,533 ft), dinner and overnight saddle hut (3566m/11,712 ft), 7 km (4.3 mi).
Day 3: Climb starts at 12:00 via Rhino point.
Around the midnight wake-up call, tea and cookies, your climb starts at 12:00 via Rhino point (3800m/12,467 ft), must prepare fort rough trail “rock-line” to Meru Peak (4562m/15,967 ft), 8km (5mi).
After the summit with the enough photos, trek down Meru peak through the same trail to saddle hut, brunch, rest for two hours, afternoon trek for two more hours, dinner and overnight Miriakamba Hut (2514m/8.248ft), 15km (9.3mi).
Day 4: Trek down to Momella
Trek down to Momella headquarters (9km/5.6mi) via Jiwe la lami, meet your driver guide for a short game drive, departure to Arusha town /Moshi
- Wildlife safaris to Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Tarangire and other destinations, after/before the Kilimanjaro climb can be arranged.
- Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro after finishing Mount Meru as the preparation for Climbing Kilimanjaro.
• 4 days Mount Meru Southern route
• 3 nights’ accommodations in the hut during the hiking
• All climbing gears and camping equipments
• Full board meals during the hike
• Emergency First Aid kit, including: Emergency Oxygen, stethoscope.
• Airport transfers,/ Kilimanjaro Airport(JRO) or Arusha Airport
• Certified, experienced, English-speaking guides and armed ranger
• All parks entrance fees and huts fees
• Transfers from the hotel to the starting point at momella gate
• Mineral water
• Hiking support team (Cook, assistant, porters)
• Emergency Communications systems
• Free pickup in residential house or hotel in Arusha or Moshi
• Other dietary requirements on request
• Guide, Cook and porters gratitude / tips
• Items of a personal nature
• Optional activities
• Boiled / filtered water on the mountain. (Plastic water bottles are not permitted in the Park, so please be sure to bring and fill up your reusable water bottle on the first day of the hike).
• Alcohol drinks
• Domestic and international flights
• Travel insurance and visas
• Accommodation /meals one night before the climbing and last day after the climb in case clients will prefer to overnight with an extra charges we can arrange.